4.02.2008

location

The question of location is an interesting one for me. The fact that I live in LA and Richard lives in Sacramento has led us to adapt our methods of communicating and working with each other. We're in complete isolation of each other's work and there isn't a dialogue between us as far as content, themes, etc goes. I find this to be very liberating. During our previous show I lived for a part of the planning process in Sacramento so we were keen on having a conversation between our work. But now it's every man for himself, as the saying goes. Personally, I think that the isolation has left me to find my own strengths and work on the weaknesses that I could have easily relied on Richard to make up for. I had no idea what Richard was doing until I went to visit him in December and I don't think he really got a sense for what I was doing until I mailed him some of my work. I like the surprises we're able to each have in this journey to completion.

LA has inspired me in the sense that it's brought all of my Sacramento memories and experiences to the surface. A lot of my work is my psyche working out some of those memories and the feelings I associate with the people I knew, the person I loved and still love, the places I frequented, and simply put, my old life. It's incredibly romanticized which is probably the most evident in my use of color palettes. I need to be in LA to have the romanticization breathe true. LA has also kept me a busy bee which makes it easier for me to work quickly and not over-think my work. I'm incredibly proud of these pieces, which is saying a lot because I usually like 25% of what I do. It's a dual city work collection which required a dual city experience from me.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home